Arkansas Specialty Orthopaedics and OrthoArkansas will merge June 1, 2018 and become Arkansas’ largest orthopaedic group. The new group will be known as OrthoArkansas and will initially be comprised of forty physicians, and sixteen nurse practitioners/physician assistants. There will be seven clinic locations and two ambulatory surgery centers. Athena has been selected as the PM/EMR vendor, and Medstrat for PACS.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) has responsibility for the hands-on management of daily clinic and ancillary operations, including all non-physician staff and managers. In cooperation with physician owners/stakeholders, staff, and other members of the senior management team, the COO will be responsible for meeting or exceeding all budgeted performance and financial goals while enhancing patient satisfaction and retention, operational performance, and quality initiatives. As a member of the senior management team, the position will be deeply involved with the Board of Directors in the overall development of initiatives set forth in strategic planning for the organization and operations management. The COO will collaborate with the CEO and CFO in the development and execution of strategic initiatives for day-to-day clinical and administrative operations and will position the organization for new business development and the strategic growth of existing services.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Healthcare, Nursing or a related field is required.
- Master’s degree preferred but not required.
- Five or more years of successful senior level healthcare leadership experience, ideally in a physician practice setting, specifically related to the responsibilities of this position is required.
- Proven track record of improving operational and financial outcomes in a physician practice, including enhanced patient satisfaction and retention.
- Experience with Lean/Lean-Six Sigma a plus. Successful candidate must be willing to become certified and financial assistance will be provided.
- In a hands-on and highly visible manner, oversees and directs overall day-to-day operations and management of the practice including all clinical locations, and ancillary departments. Also, responsible for purchasing analysis and decisions related to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Assists the Board of Directors, CEO and CFO, in the development of strategic long- and short-range plans and related business plans and provide operational/tactical leadership in support of these strategies.
- Is responsible for managing, monitoring and performance reporting of all operational activities related to annual operating plans and for taking corrective actions when and where necessary.
- Responsible for all non-physician staff and managers in assigned areas including hiring, coaching, discipline, and termination.
- Responsible for the development of a unified production-based staffing model.
- Responsible for enhancing operational effectiveness, standardization, supply management, cost containment, patient care and patient satisfaction.
- Provide assistance and input to the development of the annual operating and capital budget.
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding all budgeted financial and other clinical and non-clinical performance goals for assigned areas of responsibility..
- Ensure that efforts to implement an effective electronic medical record (EMR), and other automated systems as assigned or appropriate, are managed in an efficient and effective manner across the organization.
- Responsible for directing and preparation of operational performance reporting including comparison to appropriate benchmarks and deploying them in reporting and performance goal setting.
- Maintains compliance with regulatory, contractual, and accreditation requirements.
- Responsible for development, implementation and compliance with corporate policies, and procedures. Recommends changes as appropriate.
- Guide, mentor and motivate direct reports toward achievement of objectives, maintaining accountability, evaluating performance and encouraging synergy across the organization.
- Provide leadership, and serve as an example, to a culture of information sharing, transparency, customer service, excellence, management visibility and employee engagement within the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- An obvious passion for working with physicians. One who actively and purposefully seeks out opportunities to listen to physician needs, and engages in meaningful solution-oriented dialog. A transparent communicator that provides clarity and shows respect when delivering popular or difficult information.
- The ability to foster an environment of teamwork, collaboration and mutual trust among staff, physicians, and senior management.
- A demonstrated track record in working effectively with physicians on matters related to practice management, resource utilization, program development, cost management and budgeting.
- The ability to be a strategic and big-picture thinker but comfortable in a role that is primarily tactical.
- Ability to understand and implement current best practices and contribute realistic expectation of what success looks like to leadership team.
- Overall subject matter knowledge and demonstrated experience with the drivers of an effective physician and ancillary services revenue cycle.
- Extensive experience with the implementation and effective use of physician groups systems such as EMR, practice management, PACs, inventory management, etc.
- Strong negotiation and supply chain skills.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of fiscal management, managed care, reimbursement, and government regulations.
- Ability to lead pro-actively and effectively, demonstrate competencies in people management, financial management, change management, operations improvement and communication.
- Team and consensus building experience required to achieve organizational goals.
- Strong work ethic and results-driven; one who establishes and holds self and others to deadlines. Skill in organizing work, delegating and achieving goals and objectives.
- Professional courage and maturity enabling effective and respectful dialog around difficult topics or conversations when needed. Appreciation for and one who models healthy debate in the context of problem-solving. One who maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations.
- Excellent verbal & written communication, presentation, and public speaking skills.
- Absolute discretion and confidentiality regarding sensitive information.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are mandatory.
Competitive salary, performance bonus and benefits offered including generous retirement plan. Relocation assistance provided. Candidates should email their resume to the contact noted below. Resume, or an attached document, should outline the Candidate’s quantifiable outcomes, experience and skills as they relate to this position.